Pamela's School Days

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas Treats, Part 3

Such treats!

* Sleeping very late

* Cuddly cats

* No obligations until January 11th (exam!)

* Delectable Christmas dinner. My friendship with my Dutch neighbor (Dona) and her American partner (John) grows in the nicest ways. They are helpful, kind, generous, funny (very funny), excellent cooks, cultured, and astute observers of life. They invited me to Christmas dinner last night, with her father, who's 91, but still in his home, doing his own chores. I contributed my "Silver Palate" salmon mousse, trimmed in hyacinth blossoms. John decorated the table, which was candle-lit and star-sprinkled. Dona outdid even her usual delicious meals, making an entree of hare (which tastes very different from rabbit) in its own sauce, over a pastry shell, which was succulent. She steamed fennel and served it in a very light cream sauce with a little dill. I'd always wanted to try fennel as a veggie, and now will do it myself. There was also a light puree of potatoes, cheese and celery root, too yummy to describe. Then a salad with melted goat cheese. We shuddered on, to a home-made tiramisu, little chocolates and a Greek dessert wine that I want to have at home. It smelled almost like a Chablis, was a very pale, cool yellow, and had a slightly sweet taste. I'm a great fan of French Muscat ("Beaume de Venise" being my favorite), but sometimes get a headache from it, so am eager for other dessert wine possibilities. I had no idea that there were Greek ideas on this subject.

I'm always interested in knowing more about my little street, and Dona's father was very helpful. He's a lifelong Leidenaar. Dona is one of 12, I think. While the houses on my street started life in the early 17th century (mine in 1620) as homes for the needy of Leiden, they went through different phases over time. In the 19th century, they were all weavers' houses. Leiden was historically the center of weaving and fabrics, in all of Holland. So, Dona's father mentioned that he had a book on weavers' houses, and it was brought back to me when he was taken home last night.

One of the nicest things about hospitality with Dona and John is the commute, which is about 25 feet! I often take a bottle and ring their bell, at cocktail hour. It's fun. Dona flies with KLM, so has nice chunks of time free between flights, which often take her to Thailand (beads and silk), Hong Kong (all sorts of shopping), Brazil (remember the filet?) and elsewhere.

John is a school principal, at the American School in The Hague. It is an all-consuming job, and he has just given notice for June, so is enjoying both Christmas time off and the emotional freedom. Already, I can see how much more relaxed he is. One issue he mentioned are spoiled American mothers, usually having nannies, who want to have their THREE-year-olds in school all day long, so that they won't miss their tennis lessons!

* No rain!

* Such laziness that I don't think there's any more to say today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home