Pamela's School Days

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Tolerance vs. ambition?

And how to state this, too . . . ?

I think I may have come to grips with why laziness, mediocrity and lack of ambition by some generally are tolerated here . . . even respected. I think it's to do with the ingrained and sometimes fierce national tolerance (going back centuries) for difference of opinion, style and individual right to be and do as one pleases, as long as it doesn't harm. The tsunami of immigration here since the 1970s has put a lot of stress on this national attribute. The 2002 murder of Pim Fortuyn, the politician who publicly complained about the problems being inflicted in Holland by immigrants, and particularly by Moslims, was by a Dutchman, not a foreigner. On the ride home from a concert last night, a Dutch friend was discussing it, and said that Fortuyn spoke publicly about things that seethed through the whole country, but no one else had the nerve to make it public.

These thoughts were also stirred up by my observance of students in my classes (no Dutch ones) and also students in the ancient language (the ones which exist only now on tablets)classes of my talented young Russian friend, "Jenia". Over lunch on Friday, she recounted numerous incidents of her fellow students (Dutch ones) complaining to professors about quantity of homework and assignment due dates. Jenia just did the work. Her classmates not only didn't do the assignments, but complained about it. It was the reaction of the professors that amazed me: they all backed off! Jenia and I both thought, "Why are the students here?" While I realize that college students globally can be lazy, immature and irresponsible, being accepted to university here is an achievement academically. I expected to see a more serious attitude, and just don't. Doubtless, there are many exceptions. However, when these kids leave school and mature, what will they contribute, I wonder?

Is Holland like England, as a very successful British friend once described to me, that the British consider it bad form to succeed dramatically, whether financially or professionally? That this just wasn't done? He has gone from strength to strength over 25 years, working terribly hard. I respect and applaud him and his quest for excellence.

While Holland is commendable in many, many regards, this other side is an area that will continue to puzzle me. I wondered if it were a generational issue, but then remembered my former Dutch boyfriend telling me, in the mid-1970s, that his students at Nijmegen University (political philosophy and science) were lazy and stupid. Maybe the material comfort, ease and stability are deterrants to ambition, but I don't think so. It's a topic that fascinates me, so you'll hear about it again.

Off to try to achieve some more vocabulary, this week about "Working" and "Art and Culture". The sky is blue, so it's very tempting to take a walk, instead. To the books!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home