Pamela's School Days

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

10 more days

Good morning, world,

Life is now a continuing checklist, right? I've still got important things to do that have nothing to do with packing, unfortunately.

Last night was fun: I removed over 100 CDs (with jacket notes) and a lot of DVDs from their boxes and inserted them into a book-sized carrier. I've still got over 100 CDs to do, but it saves a HUGE amount of space and weight. Highly recommended. I'll have to figure out the best way to organise them when I have them again (a few months from now; the gypsy life begins the 30th). It likely will be an Excel list, by composer. I'll miss looking at their little boxes, but not miss the amount of space they consume. I did assemble one carrier with my "desert island discs", to take with me.

The movers for the things going to Paris come tomorrow, so that's today's priority. My furniture will then be pared down to a few occasional tables, one small settee and two small lamps. Pretty dramatic, but it also feels good. Clothes have been similarly pared down (which as a female, I count as a major accomplishment).

What superb friends I have. My former neighbor, Dona, who flies with KLM, will take me as her "buddy" next week to Washington and then continue on to Princeton, where her American husband works far too hard. I will have a free flight! Little Dorabella will fly in cargo, but she will do it well. I've been explaining the next adventure to her.

Tuesdays in Leiden start rather slowly. On Mondays most retail is closed, to give their owners a day off after the weekend, so things are a bit sleepy. One gets used to this, but when my BANK also was closed, I was very annoyed. Banks are different.

Another Leiden friend, Louise, who continues to work at my former employer, a global law firm, has volunteered to be my mail/post recipient and scan things to me, a thankless job. We have celebrated the victories and damned the failures of life together for two years now. She speaks flawless British English, the best I've heard here in Holland. She and others here have enriched and expanded my treasure chest of friends. I told Dona last night that the really hard part of this move has nothing to do with furniture or banks or address changes, but with leaving friends here who go through life with me. That I can't have ALL of the people I love with me in one place is very painful. I hate it.

Off to get on with it.

Thanks for listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home